Monday, October 17, 2011

THIS IS MY OPINION AND MY GOAL. By Babatunde Adegbemiro Esq

At exactly 3:09am today the 16th of October, I received the following message in quote from one Christopher Ikechukwu Okonkwo.

The message is titled THIS IS MY OPINION AND MY GOAL.

"I will wait to be elected as governor of my state or better still
be made a minister and I will loot beyond anyone's imagination.
I will so loot the treasury that I will build all my mansions and hotels
with papercrete (mix of paper (not sand) + cement) and instead of using ordinary paper pulp. I will use physical money (Naira notes) N1,000 precisely for the mix.
I will also pave my lawns with papercretes so that in any of my properties
I will be walking on money. I will celebrate my stolen wealth with impudence
every weekend (Friday Night Through To Sunday Night non-stop). Aside from
properties within and outside Nigeria, I will own choice cars and private
Jets to gallivant the world at my call.
Do you know I will be untouchable because I have immunity?
Do you know I will be a favoured one before my people and they will honour me with multiple chieftaincy titles?
Do you also know that the populace will only commit me to God saying may God help us?
Then after my tenor, EFCC the mighty eagle eye watching all my antecedents while in office but have no power over me because I have immunity will now arraigne me before a court. At the end of it all I will be pardoned or at worst be sentenced to 3 months and asked to pay N500,000,000.00 as fine. This is less than 0.001% of my loot. Do you know why, because I am now in the club of the big nation looter and we know how we get ourselves out of mess like this.
I am working hard to achieve my goal and I surely will by the grace of God.
Like I said this is my opinion and may God Help me"

Will you blame this young man for his opinion? Will you say his dreams are not lofty enough? Will you say these dreams are far-fetched? Or do you think he's the only Nigerian youth with this kind of goal?

Christopher like every other Nigerian does not get quality education from the government, so he resorted to a private university. Like most other Nigerians, he has dug for himself a bore hole since the government could not do that for him. He also bought a generator to provide electricity when the government has misappropriated all the billions of dollars meant for the power sector.

The same thieves who stole all the money meant for the well-being of Christopher are being granted bail and asked to pay a very infinitesimal fraction of the stolen money. Now he's driven by political cum economic vengeance to join the club of national looters.

In a free world where a man has the inalienable right to accumulate wealth unreasonably and enjoys the unfettered privilege to flaunt his flamboyance, everybody will strive for nothing but this crescendo of comfort.

This type of free world is neither a figment nor imagination. It exists both in thoughts and in Nigeria.

This is what we see everyday in my country. It has become a custom and even a religion. Get elected and get elevated into wealth, power, affluence and most importantly, immunity.

This is what our leaders have taught an average Nigerian. This is the prayer of most parents for their children. This is the dream of an average Nigerian youth even as he criticises bad leadership. This is the opinion and goal of every striving citizen like Christopher Ikechukwu Okonkwo.

I owe Christopher a fiduciary duty to keep this message a secret but I have decided to breach this duty for a national cause.

I did this because we all should realise that there are better and more lofty dreams than threading the perilous paths of our leaders. There should be a time for us to realise that we cannot continue to persevere in decadence. A time for us to work on how the culprits of national loot will get harsher punishment with the consequence of loosing all the embezzled funds.
A time when the society will no longer celebrate criminals. A time when what is good for goose will also be good for gander in the eyes of justice. A time when patriotism will be the only answer.

One Dr Johnson defined Patriotism as the last refuge of a scoundrel.
I totally disagree without an iota of equivocality.
What then is patriotism? Is it a narrow affection for the spot where a man was born? Are the very clods where we tread entitled to this ardent preference because they are greener?

Patriotism is a national spirit that we all must invoke for ourselves.
It is an extended self-love, mingling with all the enjoyments of life, and twisting itself with the minutest filaments of the heart.
It is one life we have to live...one air we have to breathe and one home we have to feel.

What a pity it is that we can die but once to serve our dear country. At every given opportunity, let's take the advantage and do what is right and we'll never be forgotten. That is the spirit of a patriot.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power
to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour.  Now is
the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in
time.  For the clock may soon be still."

BABATUNDE ADEGBEMIRO
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

No comments:

Post a Comment