Sunday, March 4, 2012

THE BONNY ISLAND I SAW..(An essay on the Nigerdelta)

So it was about 9am and my friend made sure I was ready to leave the house situate at Borokiri a port harcourt suburb,in order to avoid turbulent currents on the water. We got to the jetty half concealed behind a market in good time, Certainly I was excited, and my expectations as diverse as it were, still retained the consciousness that I was making an incursion into one of Nigeria's many sore spots. Bonny Island.

What I discovered as we took the about 100 minute ride on water was that, this was a beautiful land that has overtime been raped and neglected by government over government and SHELL SPDC. A topography like no other a land where the gas flaring tunnels burn even in the rain.

Bonny island being the custodian of the bright of bonny,the bonny lite crude oil (2nd best crude in the world),SHELL SPDC,MOBIL and also one of the closest points to the international waters, I expected to see an emerging bahamas of some sort but what I saw was an average sandy town, with obviously little infrastructural development. Even though electricity is constant thanks to two separate turbines powered by NLNG and SHELL.

With The presence of Multi Billion dollar instalations of government Shell, Mobil and co, I expected a myriad of physical and tangible community projects by way of corporate social responsibility. But alas what obtains are scanty palliatives most of which remain uncompleted. Oh except of course the impecably built residential areas around Finima dedicated to the expatriates.

As I observed the paradoxes of want amidst seeming plenty, I would be further astonished when we had to buy fuel for about N200 per litre, in a land that hosts a substantial number of oil wells and oil companies!!! It all just didn't add up to me. The concept and ideologies behind the Niger Delta agitation crystalised and I had a clearer understanding of the agitation. I mean what would you have done?

These people like every other Nigerian deserve a better deal from government, a predominantly fishing community like bonny and all the adjunct island villages some of whose waters have been polluted so much that they can no longer serve as habitat to the pieces,can be offered a better deal with tourism. These are communities rich in culture, continental dishes,an environment to die for and a welcoming spirit.

If the myopia and overdependence of the Nigerian government on crude and its praphanalia would give way to better reason, an island with the largest perimeter of undeveloped beaches in Africa would generate unprecedented revenue, create a new source of livelihood for the aborigines and further open up Nigeria to the world positively.

I must not heap all the blame on government alone and why would I? The people are equally as complicit. Several Ijaw leaders have over time fraternised with the oil giants at the expense of their people. They have traded the comfort, benefit and existence of their own for the crumbs off the rich oil 'thiefs' table. There seems to be a CABAL everywhere. The local canoe operators that would oppose the introduction of conducive and modern boats, the owners of filling stations that create artificial scarcity all year round etc...

I read in a daily recently that Nigeria's gas flaring has dropped to 24%, that's not good enough, we can harness that too. We need to put out the constantly burning torches that light the Niger delta skyline. Some of these flaring pipes have been burning for over 25 years, constantly, day in;day out. Imagine the unprecedented damage to the 'almighty' ozone layer the environment and the health of the indigenes. Just imagine seeing fires burning high in the sky in your vicinity or say Abuja!! for as long as you can remember. This is highly unacceptable.

I call on all Nigerians to add their voices to the call for a better/healthier Niger Delta, we are all one after all. The 'legitimate' armed struggle may be over to a large extent as a result of Umaru Yaraduas amnesty policy but the journey to a healthy Niger delta has just started. Every oil company responsible for oil spills or any form of environmental degradation must pay and fix the damages or be ready to leave.

I have only one line for Goodluck Ebele Jonathan "Remember the son of whom you are".

God bless you and God bless the Federal republic.

NB: I appreciate my hosts and everybody that made my stay very informative,interesting and very entertaining. I had fun every second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment